Sample Alexander Technique Group Class by Luke Mess
CLASS 2: ACTOR WARM UPS
- To differentiate between the desire to do an activity right (gaining an end) and to do an activity while exploring the means whereby
- To explore how one’s mental attitude can affect the body
- To explore use of floor work in the actors’ warm up (getting to neutral)
- To explore common warm up activities through the lens of the Alexander Technique
- Lead warm up (roll down, head roll w/humming & zip zap zop) with the mental attitude of “We’re going to do this right”
- Discuss stimulus of being led in a warm up and how we’re taught about the right way to do warm ups and we rush through without being mindful of what we’re doing
- Discuss why we warm up
- Discussion of activities (see focus questions)
- Repeat warm up activities, adding means whereby of awareness, inhibition & direction
- Discussion of differences in the repetitions of the activity
- Explore finding neutral through the floor work
- Why do we warm up?
- What did you notice about your habits during the warm up?
- What were the differences in your body between the two warm ups?
- What were the different qualities you noticed in the warm ups?
- Were you more connected during the first round of the game or the second?